Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Start 'Em Young

I've been a crafty girl for as long as I can remember. Like many crafty women, I learned much of what I know about crafting from my mom. She taught me how to crochet, hook rugs, embroider, cross stitch and sew. I remember being a kid and looking through all her craft books dreaming up projects to make. She bought me a toy sewing machine, which I loved to sew with despite the fact that without a bobbin thread, none of the stitching ever stayed in. When I was a little older, she let me use her old Singer Sewing Machine to make myself clothes and bags. This was the same sewing machine she used to make me and my brothers matching outfits when we were kids. Now that I'm a mom, I am eager to sew clothes for my daughter with the same love and care my mom took in making things for me. I also can't wait until the day when I can teach my daughter all I know about crafting.




Which brings me to this:





I think she is going to be a natural! Since I work full time and the moments I get to share with my daughter are precious, I do most of my sewing when my daughter is napping or has gone to bed for the night. The other night I started some sewing while her dad was giving her a bath. When she came into the room and saw me sewing she wanted to sit there with me and see all that was happening. I think she would have stayed there all night if I hadn't made her go to bed. This morning she saw the machine again, and asked to "Dow." It makes my mommy heart proud, and I can't wait until the day when we can really share in these kinds of activities.



The project we were working on is actually a patchwork dress for her. It wasn't the project I ended to start after the last post, but I am definitely enjoying it. I promise to post pictures soon, and I definitely would love to finish the dress soon so she can wear it to the birthday party we are going to this weekend. If I'm not so wiped out after work the next few days, I think I'll be able to do it!

Hope everyone out there is having a fabulous week!

No comments:

Post a Comment